Any study abroad experience involves adjusting to a new culture and a new learning and teaching style. This process of adjustment can take a while, but apparently, some universities, including the ones in France, are making a good job in terms of satisfying students’ needs and offering support for whatever they may need, thus, each year, attracting a larger number of international students.
The following are the top universities and colleges in France for international students, according to a list offered by The Times Higher Education in 2019 and Student Satisfaction Awards by Studyportals in 2016.
Top international universities in France by Times Higher Education
The list of the best universities in France is somewhat different compared to the top universities in France made by Times Higher Education 2019 and Shanghai Ranking 2018. An authentic international university is one that covers a high multicultural environment (among students and teaching staff as well), provides study options in at least two languages and helps students adapt to the new culture through various extracurricular activities. A number of French universities are very popular as they offer plenty of programmes taught in English, apart from French-taught degrees.
- École des Ponts ParisTech
- IMT Atlantique
- Centrale Nantes
- École Polytechnique
- Sciences Po
- École Centrale de Lyon
- National Institute of Applied Sciences of Lyon (INSA Lyon)
- Paris Sciences et Lettres – PSL Research University Paris
- University of Technology of Compiègne
Top 3 universities in France with the best international student satisfaction
The level of contentment presented by international students is surely an important aspect worth considering when it comes to making a top of most international universities in one country.
The Studyportals International Student Satisfaction Awards 2016 were based on 17,018 reviews by students from all over the world. Although France did not rank in the high positions, foreign students rated some of the French universities as very good.
Here are the three universities that received the 'Excellent' and 'Very Good International Student Satisfaction Awards' in 2016:
- Université Francois Rabelais - Excellent
- University of Burgundy- Very good
- University of Strasbourg - Very good
Check out these international universities if you consider studying in France, but they are simply a rough guide, so you should not make your decision simply based on these lists.
Check out more up-to-date rankings from World University Ranking 2019 and Shanghai Ranking 2018. And since you're here, it can't hurt reading what students from these universities have to say about them:
Other factors to consider before apply to a university in France
- Tuition fees: start at around 250 EUR/year in public universities, and can reach up to 20,000 EUR in private higher education institutions.
- Student visa: you must check if you need one and go through the visa application process if this is the case.
- Student life: you may choose a great French international university, but are there enough entertaining activities to help you keep a balance between studying and having fun?
- Learn French: Are you willing to learn French? Although professors and other French students might speak English, you could find places where basic knowledge of French might be the only way to communicate.
Apply right now to a Master’s in France
You can now apply with Studyportals to one of our partner universities in France. You can apply whenever you want, and it won't cost you anything.
Check the available Masters and see which of the degrees match your background and interests. Start the application process by filling in your student profile. You will soon get contacted by one of our application counsellors who will assist you further. We’ll then apply on your behalf. Find out more about applying to a Master's degree with Studyportals.