Dreaming of becoming a lawyer? Thinking of studying in a university in Europe? Studyportals would like you to find the best fit for your interest in legal studies by offering you a list of options you may want to consider for your law studies abroad.
Law schools in the U.S. and the UK have the most generous degree offers as well as worldwide prestige with universities included in many rankings following the most diverse criteria. However, it’s not always easy to find lists of international law schools for universities in Europe. This doesn’t mean by far that Europe doesn’t offer its fair share of good law degree education both at undergraduate and graduate level.
Using rankings provided by QS Rankings for 2018, we have compiled a list of significant universities in different countries around Europe. To create the worldwide law school rankings list, QS has used global surveys measuring academic and employer reputation, as well as research citations data, adapted to the law discipline.
Which countries in Europe have universities providing top law degrees (besides the UK)?
Finding the best law degree abroad is not always about ranking numbers but also about the study offer, the international environment and much more. In order for you to make the best-informed choice, we have also provided the number of universities offering law degrees that are in the top 150 QS Rankings. Select a country to find a list of law degrees offered by universities located there. The universities in the list have been selected according to their place in the QS law school ranking 2018-2019.
Here’s one university for each country to help you consider your law school study options in Europe:
Law schools ranked in top 50 by QS
- Universite Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne – France (no. 30 in QS Law School ranking - 3 schools in top 50)
- Leiden University – The Netherlands (no. 32 - 8 schools in top 150)
- KU Leuven – Belgium (no. 42 - 5 schools in top 150)
- Humboldt University Berlin - Germany (no. 46 in QS Law School ranking)
- University of Amsterdam - The Netherlands (no. 48 in QS Law School ranking)
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitat Munchen - Germany (no. 49 in QS Law School ranking)
More law schools in Europe ranked after the top 50 by QS
- Maastricht University - The Netherlands
- Heidelberg University - Germany
- Sciences Po - France
- Trinity College Dublin – Ireland (3 schools in top 150)
- Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona – Spain (5 schools in top 150)
European law schools ranked after the top 100 by QS
- ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology – Switzerland (3 schools in top 150)
- University of Helsinki - Finland
- Lund University - Sweden
And it can't hurt to check what students who actually attend some of these universities have to say about their academic experience there:
- Leiden University
- KU Leuven
- Uppsala University
- University of Helsinki
- Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
Apply right now to a Law degree
You can now apply with Studyportals to a Master in Law from one of our partner universities in Europe. You can apply whenever you want, and it won't cost you anything.
Check the available Masters and see which of the degrees match your background and interests. Start the application process by filling in your student profile. You will soon get contacted by one of our application counsellors who will assist you further. We’ll then apply on your behalf. Find out more about applying to a Master's degree with Studyportals.