Finland was ranked the happiest country in 2018 so if you want to apply to a Master’s there we can only congratulate you for your choice. Maybe you want to study there because you hope to meet Santa or because Finland has the best education system in the world. Either way, we want to help you put things in a wider perspective and do our part in your international student journey to Finland.
That’s why we decided to check how Finland did among international students in 2017, looking at popular universities, popular Masters and from where most international students in Finland come from.
Most popular Finnish universities for international students
A quick look at where most international students enrolled after using our portal to find their ideal Masters, reveals that most of them started studying at the following universities:
- Aalto University
- University of Helsinki
- University of Oulu
- Tampere University of Technology
- Haaga-Helia University of Applied Sciences
- Lappeenranta University of Technology
- University of Eastern Finland
- Tampere University
- University of Jyväskylä
- Metropolia University of Applied Science
- Åbo Akademi University
The differences between these universities and those where most international students were interested in applying in 2017 are minor. Here is where most international students wanted to apply:
- Aalto University: 5.074 interested students
- University of Jyväskylä: 2.765 interested students
- Lappeenranta University of Technology: 1.836 interested students
- University of Eastern Finland: 1.452 interested students
- University of Turku: 1.314 interested students
- University of Vaasa: 1.161 interested students
- Tampere University: 2.001 interested students
- Centria University of Applied Sciences: 902 interested students
- Laurea University of Applied Sciences: 766 interested students
You’ll notice that many of these institutions are universities of applied sciences and may wonder why. Well, that’s because they are very popular in Finland and you can typically submit a joint application to up to 6 of them and increase your chances of being accepted. Pretty cool, huh?
Most popular disciplines you can study in Finland
If you are wondering what to study in Finland and your first answer is Education, you’re right about that. As the word got out that Finns have the best education system in the world, many international students want to learn from them so that they might improve education back home. But if you’re not into that, worry not. There are plenty of other options to choose from. Traffic data on our portal in 2017 shows that most international students are interested in the following graduate programmes:
- Masters in Education in Finland: 10.108 curious students
- Masters in Public Health in Finland: 3.799 curious students
- Masters in Finance in Finland: 3.483 curious students
- Masters in Data Science and Big Data in Finland: 3.251 curious students
- Masters in Computer Science in Finland: 3.083 curious students
- Masters in Business Administration in Finland: 2.587 curious students
- Masters in Architecture in Finland: 2.177 curious students
- Masters in Film and Media in Finland: 2.114 curious students
- Masters in Mechanical Engineering in Finland: 2.080 curious students
Where do students doing a Master’s in Finland come from
A Master’s abroad is equally about the people you meet as it is about your studies. Yes, a graduate degree abroad can have a positive impact on your career and give you the opportunity to experience a different – sometimes better – academic style. But it is also about the friends you make, the professional network you develop, and those great unforgettable student experiences.
In Finland, you’ll be part of a community of international students coming from the following countries:
- United Kingdom
These are countries where most students who used our portal and started studying in Finland in 2017 come from. So, get ready to open you to Asian, Middle Eastern, African and European cultures. It will be like travelling the world during your studies.
International students that invest the most in studying in Finland
OECD data is also helpful as it reveals which students tend to invest most in their education in Finland. The international education market in Finland reveals that these students come from:
Other origin countries of students who invest more in their education in Finland are India, Sweden, Germany, and USA. Students from these countries are those who spend more on tuition fees, student living and academic costs.
That’s all for now folks! Use this data as an incentive to start preparing for the right degree in Finland. Check out the universities and study options that are most popular to see if they match your own interests and ambitions. Prepare for the international student’s life with data about international students.
But always remember, it is not data that will make your international student experience good, great or amazing. It is your resilience, positive attitude and openness to the new!